You may be wondering how you can give a gift that will make an impact on the special young person in your life. I am here to tell you- it’s easier than you think! Teen entrepreneurs get tremendous satisfaction when they are recognized for their accomplishments and when they achieve their goals (regardless of size). When it comes to choosing that perfect gift for the budding entrepreneur in your life, it is not about consumables but about investing in productive gifts that help them grow themselves and their business. Often teens are afraid to ask for these kinds of gifts because they are not sure if they will be taken seriously, so here are a few gift suggestions, all under $100, that will definitely affirm that you fully believe in their entrepreneurial pursuit:
1. A subscription to your local business journal newspaper: The Business Journals are offered in major cities throughout the U.S. and provide a variety of resources such as new business openings, business events and recent contract awards. The Journals also recognizes business leaders in the community and write about how these business leaders became successful. The Business Journals also publish a list featuring the Top Companies in various industries in your city. These resources provide your emerging teen entrepreneur with valuable and otherwise costly background information such as revenues and number of employees served that they can use when preparing to market their services.
2. A handheld pocket video camera: Handheld point and shoot video cameras are great for creating promotional videos and filming live interviews on the go or at networking events. This is a great marketing tool especially for teens that are sociable and more likely to talk than perhaps write a blog. Today’s point and shoot video cameras usually run off 2 AA batteries, are simple to operate and make it easy to upload videos directly to the top online video sharing sites. Short smart videos are powerful tools for marketing one’s product and keeping the attention of would be customers.
3. A ‘student’ membership to the local chamber of commerce: A membership to the Chamber can provide an incredible amount of exposure to community leaders and business professionals in all types of industries and all sizes of business. Additionally, networking opportunities are invaluable and can build upon face to face networking skills and increase business opportunities and partnerships.
4. A gift card to their favorite bookstore: Teen entrepreneurs love to read motivational stories about self made millionaires and success stories about people who have overcome challenges and are living their dream lifestyle. So giving your child a gift card to their favorite bookstore will allow them the choice to pick their preferred book(s) or business magazine.
5. Website hosting and Domain Renewal for 1 year: Having an online web presence or blog is important to today’s young and tech savvy teen entrepreneur yet it usually takes up most of their business start up money. Free websites don’t always give them the flexibility to add some of their own bells and whistles. So purchasing or renewing the domain name registration is an awesome gift along with the hosting service for 1 year.
6. A gift certificate for design and printing of business cards: Creating a business card logo on your own using a free web based program is cool. But having a professional designer create what you are thinking is even better. Plus it is one of those early reinforcements that bring young people satisfaction – seeing their unique idea and creation actually come to life.
7. Custom Request: Ask them what they need! While teens may be afraid to ask for business related products as a gift, if you specifically ask them what they need for their business, it is not likely they will turn your request down.
Any one or combination of the previous named gifts will surely provide a reasonably priced gift that is both timely and timeless and will definitely increase your ROE (Return on Engagement) with that special teen in your life.