Let’s talk about Starting a Photography Business. When you’re a keen photographer, and you have the desire to spend your working life doing something you enjoy, such as photography, it would be a shame if you didn’t pursue it further, wouldn’t it? You really don’t have to join an institution or pay thousands of dollars to get started either. You need a passion for learning and persisting. Most great photographers who rely on their trade to survive don’t even know they have these traits because they love what they do and can’t stop.
There is indeed wealth to be made in photography, and I’m not going to downplay that or make a pitch to the opposite because in every case, it’s been up to the individual. Meaning – it depends on what mode of photography they choose, how much time they put into the business, whether they have a commercial bent, are more artistic than usual, etc. All these points come into play when success in a photography business or studio is questioned.
I don’t want to create any false hopes by that last paragraph because success will require hard work, tolerance, and patience. These next thirty tips should help you along the way. There is more detail available on this subject matter at the link at the bottom of this page.
Where can I obtain information on building a photography business?
1. Always do some extensive research before starting a career with your own photography business to understand the pros and cons involved. Some ideas include subscribing to a good magazine related to the photographic industry, such as Professional Photographer, Camera Arts, and Photo District News. Besides that, the internet is the biggest source of information and can provide you with many career opportunities or even more information on starting a photography business.
At which level do you want to start your photography business?
2. This is the trickiest question that a person interested in starting a business encounters. It is crucial to decide what kind of photography business you want so that the relevant requirements and (sometimes) finance can be muscled up.
When is the best time to start a fully-fledged photography business?
3. After deciding on what you need and any extra necessary equipment needed to set up the basic infrastructure, you will need to consider your main tool carefully – the camera, be it digital or film. You must also consider a reliable, high-quality PC and good relevant software carefully to manipulate your photographs with special effects. If the business is being undertaken on a massive scale, maybe a developing lab needs to be planned and established.
What kind of venues will yield real income to your business?
4. A newly established business in photography requires an assured location or a beat (working locally), as in journalism—for instance, wedding photography, sports-related photography, or developmental photography. Once established, a business can also be diversified into many more fields.
Building a photography portfolio
5. It is always important to compile a good portfolio as far as photography is concerned. A portfolio must contain a collection of pertinent photographic work that you believe to be impressive. Make sure that photographs are unusual in character and are from diverse fields. Your portfolio must be able to impress the client in the very first meeting.
Don’t keep all the photographs that you have in your possession.
6. Only keep your best work in the folder so that you don’t embarrass yourself or find yourself having to explain photographs that aren’t relevant.
Showcase spontaneous photos that you believe are of good quality.
7. You’d be surprised how many people respond favorably to people’s expressions when they are good shots.
Basic apparatus required
8. A canvas background of at minimum 7-9 feet and the background colors should be either navy or white as minimum requirements to start with; a well-branded studio lights system such as that of Norman & Speedtron; certified picture manipulation software such as Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop, etc.
Is there a need to establish a makeup studio as part of your photo studio?
9. Makeup and photography often go hand in hand. Wherever makeup is involved, it is often referred to as trick photography because makeup can completely transform an individual’s personality and is sometimes relevant to a product in the case of advertising photography.
What kind of photo-editing software is available in the market?
10. Photo-editing software through which special effects and complete changes to a photo are possible and can also often save the need for a re-shoot.
11. Some popular photo-editing software includes Photoshop CS, Photoshop Lightroom, iPhoto, I View Multimedia, MediaPro, ACDSee, Corel, and Picasa.
Is storage and treatment of photographs crucial in building the photography business?
12. Never adopt laxity while handling or archiving photographs. You will regret it later. Storage and access efficiency will either improve or frustrate your working environment. Often older photos become more valuable with time.
How can be photographs be preserved easily apart from the conventional method?
13. Today’s cameras are highly versatile and will allow downloads and transfers from shocking devices, including your mobile, but pictures can also be stored on CDs, USBs, and DVDs.
Choosing a Camera
14. Stick to a well-known brand. The level of mega pixel offered and the quality of the zooming facility must be looked into carefully. I have my favorites, but there are many equally as good as mine.
15. Most of the cameras are compatible with computers and printers, and because we now use memory sticks, we are truly free to operate unencumbered.
What kind of a website does a person need to have?
16. Your collection of photographs must be properly classified under different categories. The visual appearance of your website will do wonders for your business, so consider setting up one with semi-automation where the maintenance and hard work are done for you, like photostockplus.
17. Remember to constantly upgrade and maintain your website so that they will find something new and interesting each time people come across your website.
Copyright of your photographs
18. Copyright is the right protects the person who owns or who took the photographs. A wise exercise if you are looking to use some stock houses for commercial purposes.
Why is a business card helpful?
19. In every business, visiting cards are helpful. It is extremely useful for people to contact you after your first meeting. It must contain all your contact details. If you’re a photographer, a clever impressive graphic or a picture of yourself with your equipment is best. Your contact number or email must be easy to read. I have seen cards with large names and pictures, and the phone numbers are so small they are difficult to read. Ridiculous! Make your phone number the largest thing on the card – that’s what most people will use it for.
Which things must be kept in mind while you plan to build a wedding photography business?
20. Wedding Photography is almost another art unto itself. There are many things to remember for a truly successful wedding shoot. I have prepared another article to deal with this in more detail, and it’s all about –Wedding Photography. —
Advantage of assignment photography
21. Assignment photography is that branch of photography where a person is engaged or consigned to capture shots of something impressive and extraordinary, such as in the case of advertising or portrait photography; this can provide you a stable income after you’ve learned the ropes.
Advantage of stock photography
22. Stock photography is that branch of photography where there is an accumulated stock of photographs sold to interested buyers, designers, advertising agencies, etc. This can be a slow haul, but if your pictures are well thought out, they can be the source of an ongoing income. –My favorite is stock photos–.
Other places where you can sell your photographic collection?
23. Art shows are the perfect platform from where your creativity and work will be really appreciated because, at such places, you will find some niche customers with a sharp eye for real talent. Such places have been known to bring instant fame.
24. Winter Park Art Show at Orlando, Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts, Old Town Art Show; Chicago, Boston Mills Art Show; Peninsula, Ohio, Similar art shows are held in different parts of the world, and they are easy to find on the net. Do a Google search for “photography art show” and the name of the country you are in after adding the plus sign like this; “photography art show”+ Sweden
Prices to be charged from the clients
25. In the initial stages of your business, don’t try to charge exorbitant amounts; otherwise, it will give the wrong impression, and you will perhaps lose a valuable long-term customer. Tread slowly—ring other photographers and research. Five phone calls should do it.
Marketing your photography business
26. You must try to market your work at relevant places. Photographs can also be published over the internet. Publication over the internet will increase customer inquiry. Don’t forget to search for suitable local markets and get the snaps printed in a local journal or newspaper, and always display your contact number prominently – always!
27. Establishing and popularizing a business is a tough call if you adopt a proper marketing strategy. Today, Advertising is one of the most popular mediums of promoting. Ads can be placed on websites, online telephone directories, newspapers, and magazines, etc. Research the right mediums before you rush in. Sometimes good deals get in the way of recognizing the right advertising vehicle.
28. You can develop a website of your own to promote your photography business effectively, but one thing that must be kept in mind never forgets to include a testimonial section and gauge the people’s response to the website. Let them make comments.
Career prospects in photojournalism
29. Individuals interested in setting up a photography business can begin their career by becoming a photojournalist. Appealing and unusual photographs can be supplied to newspapers, magazines, websites, and the photography business is booming to such an extent that even international media organizations will offer you good money in return for rare and high-quality photographs.
30. Mainstream photographers are engaged in TV, parcels and copy services, newspapers, magazines, and sketch photography. There are many more jobs also related to photography than there ever was previously. Because of the diversity and flexibility of digital photography, more respect has been attached to this profession. Some of the avenues in photography apart from business are Journalism, Graphic arts, Advertising, DTP jobs, Publications, and Motion Picture creation.
Go and make yourself a hot beverage and have a long think about where you’re going to start, that is if you haven’t already started.
Read Effective Digital Marketing Strategies To Grow Your Photoshop Business.